- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup milk
- 10 ounces Laura’s 92% Lean Ground Beef
- 2 ounces ground pork
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ pound Havarti cheese, sliced
To start make sure you use a natural lean beef like Laura’s Lean Beef. Their lean ground beef comes from vegetarian-fed cows that never receive added hormones or antibiotics. This is the only beef I feel comfortable feeding my family—and it just tastes better. From there, grab your preferred bread – grill it if you can, because it gives the bread added flavor and texture. Next pick a cheese you like. I reach for Havarti for its smooth and buttery flavor—a perfect complement to the pesto kick and sweet red pepper spread.
- In a large bowl, soak the panko in the milk until completely absorbed and soft, about 10 minutes. Add the ground beef and pork, Parmesan, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Worcestershire and salt and pepper. Mix well to combine; do not overwork. Form into eight 2-inch balls. Freeze meatballs for easy handling. Remove from freezer and toss meatballs withal with oil.
- Heat grill to high or until coals are bright and orange. Place meat balls onto prepared grill. Cook meatballs, turning every so often to cook through meat.
- To assemble subs, spread red pepper sauce onto bread, then layer with pesto, top with meatball, more sauce and cheese. Serve immediately.
~Real Food by Dad